Dhokla is one of the easiest yummy snack which can be prepared quickly (under 15 minutes) and you can eat it without any guilt. There are many variety of Dhokla- Khaman, Khatta,rava, rasia.
Khaman dhokla is prepared from chickpeas flour and steamed until cooked.
Besan(Gram flour)-1 cup
Suji(Semolina)-1 1/2 sp
Lemon juice-2 sp
Chilli paste- 1-2 sp
Sugar- 1 sp
Mustard Seeds-1 sp
Green Chilli- 3-4
Grated fresh coconut(optional)
1. In a bowl take besan, suji, salt, sugar, chilli paste and lemon juice.Add water( 3/4 cup or less) to make a thick and smooth batter.
2. You can make 2 servings of dhoklas with this batter, so I have divided it into two portions and kept one portion aside.
3. In one portion of the batter add 1 sp eno with little water and very gently mix it. You will notice that batter is very fluffy.
4. Meanwhile heat the steamer or if you don’t have a steamer then in a big pan with a lid, add some water and let it heat, when steam start coming out put your plate.
5. On a greased plate add this batter and even out by tapping it, now put that plate in the steamer and steam for 7-8 minutes or till they are cooked. ( My golden rule is to steam it for 7-8 minutes by that time it is cooked) but if are using a steamer it might take longer.
6. In a separate pan take 1 sp oil add mustard seeds when they start to splutter add green chillies and mix well for a second. They them off the stove and add 1-2 sp water.
7. Pour it over Dhoklas and let it cool down.
8.Cut them in square or desired shape and finally garnish them with fresh coriander.
Tip: When preparing for babies and kids eliminate green chillies and mustard seeds.