Other day I was browsing some recipes and this recipe “Creme Caramel” came up which looked absolutely amazing. At first glance, I was not sure whether I will be able to bake this recipe but thought to gave a try. The base is super smooth in texture like custard and the layer of caramelized sugar give it a beautiful look.
I am not sure whether you have ever tried Japanese dish -Chwanmushi but the base has similar texture though it is a savoury dish and creme caramel is a sweet dessert.
In this recipe, the only tricky thing is to get the sugar caramel right! You really need to stand next to it and carefully do this part as it burns quickly. It is not going to take more 6-7 minutes so concentrate on that portion.
Please don’t get tempted to touch or check with your finger how caramelized the sugar is at any point of time!
Creme Caramel Recipe
Milk- 1.5 cups
Vanilla essence- 1 tbsp
1. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees.
2. In a saucepan, cook the 3 tbsp sugar on a low flame until it is a dark golden brown colour. Keep checking as it will burn fast ( this is the only step which needs attention)
3. Take ramekins and add cooked sugar just to make a layer.
4. In a bowl, beat the eggs. Whisk in the milk, remaining sugar and vanilla Essence. Pour into the ramekins.
5. Prepare a water bath by adding water in the bottom of a large baking dish. Place the ramekins in the dish and fill halfway up.. Bake for about 40 minutes and cover them with aluminium foil.
6. Remove from the oven and water. Let it cool down for some time.
7. Refrigerate and later just run the knife around the corners of Ramekins to remove it.
8. Put a plate on top of it and invert.
9. Serve chilled.